Thursday, February 17, 2011

On Being the Beaver



So what is it like to serve as Bluffton’s mascot? Now that the identities of J. Denny Beaver have been revealed, Jonathan Luginbuhl, Zeke Tracy and Brandon Fullenkamp, tell what it’s like to be the Beaver. (watch the official "beheading")

Brandon: Almost a year ago around this time, I was asked to perform as the new mascot. From then on, I helped served on a committee of faculty/staff and students to help design the suit and figure out how we were going to introduce him and everything, the rest is history.

Dressing up in a giant beaver costume gives a person a different mindset when attending events. When nobody knows who you are, you are free to do pretty much anything you want without worrying about what people think of you, it’s absolutely fantastic!

I would say one of my favorite things about being J.D. was being able to interact with every single person I came into contact with in some way or another. It was kind of a personal running joke of my own to mess with Estee Arend because she was so frightened by me, so naturally I messed with her whenever I saw her! I think at one point I proposed to her at a football game so she would laugh instead of screaming! I also loved all the kids that followed me around; they made my job a lot easier when I was really tired.

Zeke: Being in the suit was fun and sometimes kind of nerve racking. I found it difficult to go up to people I didn’t know and mess with them. The funniest thing that happened to me was when my bandana fell over my eyes while I was taking pictures with people and I had to be led out of the room in order to fix myself.

I had never seen a live mascot before so I didn’t really know how they worked. It was definitely an experience.

Jonathan: One of my favorite parts of being the mascot was interacting with all the kids. It didn’t really matter to me what we were doing, sometimes it was just sitting with them at the games, or chasing them around, they were so much fun.


AD Phill Talavinia presented the three J. Denny Beavers with Varsity B jackets at the "beheading." Jonathon, Zeke and Brandon will continue to perform as J. Denny Beaver through the remainder of the school year. Applications are being accepted for the 2011-12 mascot through mid-March.

No comments:

Post a Comment