|Photo posted by Allison Trent on |
J. Denny Beaver's Facebook page
Ever sit in a darkened room next to a newly-decorated Christmas tree, tiny lights twinkling, Christmas music playing softly, just being in the moment and letting your mind wonder where it may?
If you’re anything like me, your mind goes to Christmases past. For some reason this year I’ve been thinking a lot about Christmases on campus back in the ‘80s. Suspect student experiences haven’t changed all that much over the years.
- There’s the party my roomie and I hosted the first day back from Thanksgiving break. It was envisioned to be a somewhat nicer event, hors devours, soft music. We just didn’t communicate well enough to our guests that this was a dress-up event. We still had fun, we in our nice clothes and the guys in t-shirts and jeans.
- Then there was the four-foot artificial Christmas tree purchased for said party. That was actually a six-foot tree in a mismarked box.
- Secret Santas
- Roast beef carved by members of the President’s cabinet for the special Marbeck Christmas dinner.
- Wrapping our door.
- The Amy Grant Christmas tape blaring from our RAs room, and all of Third Addition singing along.
- Christmas Formal.
- The big Christmas tree in Marbeck Kiva.
As our students wrap up fall semester, here’s hoping they make a little time to enjoy the holidays with friends on campus. It’s the stuff of memories for years to come.