Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Blending voices

Dr. Crystal Sellers
Guest post by
Dr. Crystal Sellers
assistant professor of music


Gospel music has always been a huge influence on my life path so it seems natural for me to always want to be involved in some way in performing or learning more about the style.

Growing up I sang with my father, brother and sister at our church and other events and it deeply influenced my desire to study music. During my undergraduate studies I sang in the gospel choir and it helped me create bonds with friends that I still have to this day.

So there was no apprehension for me to start the gospel choir when asked by members of the university administration as well as the music department. It was an opportunity for me to share a part of what makes me who I am, as well as provide students, faculty and staff the opportunity to connect in the same way that my undergrad gospel choir did for me. So with great pride I conduct the Bluffton University Gospel Choir in our weekly rehearsals and concerts each semester.

Due to the success of this new musical group and the profound support from the university and community, it is my pleasure to tell you about a new and exciting program that is coming to Bluffton University campus Nov. 6-12, 2011. The event, in conjunction with Spiritual Life Week, is Blended Voices: Music and Worship in the Gospel Tradition, a weeklong celebration of all things gospel music. It will feature Dr. Raymond Wise, prolific gospel historian, composer, clinician and minister, who will present in Forum as well as during the chapel service.

Dr. Wise will also work with a 200-voice choir that will perform at a concert on Saturday, Nov. 12 at 6 p.m. in Founders Hall. This choir is composed of university students, faculty and staff as well as community members from Findlay, Lima and Bluffton. The members of this choir are from churches that were invited to participate in this event. Each choir will perform on their own as well as with the larger group in hopes of “blending voices” together that have never been together and may never be again.

This week also provides an opportunity for people to participate just to learn more about gospel music. There are opportunities for all to attend workshops and even to participate in the choir. It is a great way to be introduced to singing in a style that so many love but may have not been able to perform in for various reasons. 

It is my hope that you will attend all or some part of this event. It will be a wonderful way to blend your voice with the voices of others to bless God’s universal kingdom!

More about the Blended Voices: Music and Worship in the Gospel Tradition >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment