Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Congratulations to all

Friday night is the annual Bluffton University Alumni Awards banquet during Homecoming weekend. I’m so looking forward to attending this banquet.

It is fun when someone you know is being honored. Even if it’s someone you only know in passing; a former classmate, former co-worker, you know what I mean.

2007 Alumni Award recipientsI attended the banquet in 2007 when Todd Miller ’86 received the Professional Achievement Award. Todd and I were classmates in Wes Richards’ communication courses. It was exciting to hear an acceptance speech for an achievement award from someone that graduated the same year you did.

This year I’ll be attending the banquet to support Tobias Buckell ’00 as he is presented the Outstanding Young Alumni Award. I got to know Tobias when he worked in the Bluffton University tech center. Nice guy, always ready to help with the weird tech issue of the day. (He helped me get an audio clip from the Camerata Singers CD into a format to post on the Bluffton site. Well, more than help, he did it. I’m sitting there, trying to learn so to do it on my own the next time. Yea, he did it so quickly, so effortlessly, I haven’t a clue what he did.)

Crystal Rain by Tobias BuckellNow he is the author of four science-fiction novels, including one that made The New York Times best-sellers list. I give him kudos for following his passion. To jump into an author’s world ready to sink or swim, and not only survive but thrive - that is impressive. (In poking around his Web site, I just learned that his debut novel Crystal Rain has been released in Czech!)

Sorry, Toby, being more of a romantic/mystery person, I cannot say that I’ve read any of your works. But that doesn’t mean I’m any less impressed by your accomplishments. Congratulations.

Congratulations as well to the other award recipients, Herman Neff ’49, Lifetime Service Award; Verne Schrich ’58, Professional Achievement Award; and Mary Ann Sullivan, Faculty/Staff Service Award.

Have more stories about the 2009 Alumni Award recipients? Share them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment